Friday 20 May 2011

Iran Awakening by Shirin Ebadi

This is the autobiography of Shirin Ebadi the Nobel peace prize winner of 2003. Upon reading her words and thoughts I grew to dislike her as a person. I do not agree with her values or beliefs and I personally find her to be stuck up snob with virtually no understanding of religion or politics. However, I respect the steps she took to bring people their rights and that is all that is commendable about her. At one point I nearly stopped reading the book because she annoyed me so much. The book is written in a very spiteful and pretentious tone, but whoever translated it did an amazing job as they manage to mask much of the venom. I continued to read on just to find out what other failures of the Iranian government had allowed to let pass.

I will be choosing select quotes from her book, some of which show her good side and others her bad side, and posting them to this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment