Monday 13 April 2009

K-PAX by Gene Brewer, Chapter: Session 11

"We don't have games on K-PAX," he replied. "We don't need them. Nor what you call 'jokes,'" he added, scrutinizing a dried fig. "I've noticed that human beings laugh a lot, even at things that aren't funny. I was puzzled by this at first until I understood how sad your lives really are." [p140]

While he masticated I carefully proceeded. [p141]

He vacillates a lot. [p141 - swayes from side to side]

"Nothing you humans come up with surprises me anymore." [p142]

"Are you kidding? Schools are a total waste of time. They try to teach you a bunch of crap."
"Like what?"
"Like how great america is, better than any other country, how you have to have wars to protect 'freedoms,' all kinds of junk like that." [p143]

"Does he get good grades?"
"A's and b's. He should do better. He sleeps too much." [p146 - a bit like me]

"You humans consider yourselves the smartest of the EARTH beings. Am I right?"
"Yes."
"Then obviously the other beings speak much simpler languages that yours, right?"
"Well--"...
"So if you're so smart, and their languages are so simple, how come you can't communicate with them?" He waited for an answer. Unfortunately, I didn't have one. [p150]

"How are you feeling, Ernie?"
"Wonderful. Absolutely wonderful." I had never seen a smile quite like his. It was positively beatific.
"What happened for God's sake?"
"My good friend Howie just about strangled me to death." ... "That old son-of-a-bitch. I love him."
"Love him? He tried to kill you!"
"No he didn't. He made me think he tried to kill me. Oh, it was fantastic. I was asleep. You know, with my hands tied and everything? he wrapped somthing around my neck - a handkerchief or something - and tightened it up and there wasn't a damn thing I could do about it."
...
"He taught me a lesson I'll never forget."
...
"That dying is nothing to fear. In fact it's quite pleasant."
"How so?"
"Well, you've heard that old adage - when you die your life passes before your eyes? Well, it does! ... It was just like living my whole childhood over again! ... All those memories - I never realized what a wonderful thign childhood is until I got the chance to relive it like that." [p152-3]

She was shocked by all the belching and farting... [p153]

No comments:

Post a Comment