Wednesday 1 April 2009

K-PAX by Gene Brewer, Chapter: Session 10

There are two probes available forpenetrating the carpace of hysterical amnesia; each has its proponents, each ash its place. The first is sodium pentothal, also called "truth serum". A reasonably safe treatment, it has met with some success in difficult cases... Hypnosis, in experienced hands, offers the same possibilities, but without potential risk of side effects. With either method events long forgotten are often recalled with amazingly vivid clarity. [p124]

My purpose in using hypnosis in prot's case was to uncover the traumatic event which led to his hysterical amnesia and delusion. [p125]

Prot looked at me and smiled brightly. "When do we begin?" he said.
"It's already over."
"Ah. The old 'fastest gun in the west' routine." [p132]

He had his notebook out; he wanted me to tell him how hypnosis worked. I spent the rest of the hour trying to explain something I didn't fully understand myself. He seemed a little dissapointed. [p132]

...forcing him to relive that terrible moment prematurely could be devastating, and cause him to withdraw even further into his protective shell. [p134]

"Ve haff arrrr vays, mein Mádchen." [p135]

She ran back and kissed me on the mouth (almost) before dashing out. I felt about thriteen years old again. [p136]

"Why Sweden?" she wanted to know.
"Because it's the country most like K-PAX."
The subject then turned to those human beings who seemed most like K-PAXians to him. Here is what he said: Henry Thoreau, Mohandas Gandhi, Albert Schweitzer, John Lennon, and Jane Goodall.
"Can you imagine a world full of Schweitzers?" she hooted...
Then she said something I had been wondering myself: "You know what else? I think he can talk to animals!" [p137]

He had obviously not bathed in weeks or even months. A blizzard of dandruff snowed from his head and drifted onto his shoulders. His teeth seemed to be covered with lichen. [p139]

No comments:

Post a Comment